Ten Facts About Electricity in Australia
Did you know…….
- Every day, Australians use enough electricity to power eight million TVs or to charge over 110 billion mobile phones.
- Households and manufacturing are neck-and-neck for the title of busy energy-using sector in Australia.
- The poles and wires of Australia’s connected south-eastern system run to a total length of around 800,000 kilometres.
- Agriculture is the smallest energy-using sector in Australia, consuming only two percent of Australia’s total consumption.
- Two-thirds of our ‘energy resources’ are exported.
- Renewable energy accounts for just 5% of energy consumption.
- Solar hot water usage trebled in the last five years.
- The transport sector is the largest end-user of energy in Australia (and you, not the trucks and trains are the highest consumers).
- Over the past 30 years, electricity prices have risen by a factor of 5.
- Over 75% of our electricity generation comes from coal.